Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Will Meeks be 1st rounder

I had the priviledge of seeing Jodie Meeks for 2 years at Norcross. He was phenomenal. I remember in the playoffs how he just took over the game. And of course they won a state title. Now they played Beach, who had upset Wheeler but that was still on the grand stage at the Gwinnett Arena.
But going to Kentucky and playing in the SEC i never dreamed he'd be that good. I heard he lit Tennessee up for 54 points this season. I tuned in at halftime and he had 26 points. I knew he would have a big game. Of course being a channel flipper I was going back and forth to other events. So when I turned back and he had 50 I decided to watch the rest.
So that leads to the question, is he a first rounder. I think so. Is he a top 10? Well that I don't know. In fact I hope he isn't because maybe he could land with the Hawks. Let's do our version of a Mock Draft and see. Here are my top picks.
Blake Griffin - Oklahoma
Tyler Hansbrough -North Carolina
Ty Lawson - North Carolina should he declare
DeJuan Blair - Pittsburgh
Hasheem Thabeet - Connecticut
Al Farouq Aminu - Wake Forest (if he declares)
Of course that is another story for our Gwinnett products and for that matter Norcross grads
James Harden - Arizona State
Stephen Curry - Davidson
Earl Clark - Louisville
Jeff Teague - Wake Forest

So that is a mock top 10 and could Meeks be in there? Well let's see if he could fit in the next 5-10 players selected. The Hawks will probably pick around 18-20th. So will Meeks be available?

Cole Aldrich - Kansas
Greg Monroe - Although I question this one too and that will be for a later blog as to why.
Brandon Jennings - Italy
Darren Collison - UCLA
Tyreke Evans - Memphis
Jordan Hill - Arizona
Kyle Singler - Duke
B.J. Mullens - Ohio State
And now Jodie Meeks.

So I do think he could go in the top 20. That was actually 19th and his stock is rising as others begin to fall. Meeks is definitely a first rounder. He has poise and can shoot free throws. He can shoot it from 3-point range and he can take it to the hole. If he doesn't make the top 10, he definitely will be in the second ten. I know if I were there in the middle of the first round I would consider him a lot. He is a winner too. He knows how to win. Granted this year was tough on him but trust me, Jodie Meeks will be making a good living if he decides the NBA is for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment