Tuesday, April 7, 2009

March Madness finally over


Well my bracket was busted big time. But who didn't know North Carolina would make the final four and actually win the title. I had a sentimental place for our Gwinnett products and Chris Allen made us proud down here in Lawrenceville. Every time I see his name and where he's from it made me proud. To think that Chris was a kid with long dreadlocks and a super nice guy that repected my wife and me. I remember him coming over to us while in attendance at the region tournament and saying "Nice to meet you." and "It was a pleasure meeting you:" to my wife. You don't find kids like that any more. Especially athletes. But ever since then Allen has been one of OUR favorites.

Back to my bracket. Yes I had Memphis, UConnecticut, Louisville, North Carolina and Villanova advancing further than they all did. Who would have thought Michigan State would go that far. I may like Allen a lot but Louisville was on a roll. I liked Wesley Witherspoon and thought his team had enough to win the title. But Missouri got hot for a game and knocked him out. That killed my bracket. I did say Villanova would beat Pitt. But you'd have to be under a rock somewhere not to realize the Tar Heels were on a roll and would destroy them, provided they got past Oklahoma and Blake Griffin.

But I heard a stat and this is phenomenal. North Carolina won all six games by an average of 20 points or more. Sure the first round game is always a blowout but to beat teams like Oklahoma, Villanova and Michigan State all by 20 is saying something. Yes the final score was 89-72 but they led by 21 at halftime and then put it on cruise control.

I should have known the Tar Heels would dominate. Roy Williams is a great coach but sometimes during March Madness we go with our heart. Next year I'll go with the brains and if some of our Gwinnett products make it to the dance maybe I'll pick them a round or two and then go back to reality and pick the best team. If Ty Lawson and Wayne Ellington are back, look for UNC to repeat. I wouldn't pick against them this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment