Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Those were the days

Yes I remember covering the Parkview Panthers in the early part of this decade. The football team was super with Clint Sammons at quarterback and that big time wide receiver named Jeff Francoeur. He also was a great cornerback. I remember calling a game at Brookwood and he had two interceptions returned for touchdowns. What a game. Then they went on a nice run of 30-0 and two state championships.

Speaking of two straight state championships, he and Sammons both had two more on the baseball team. I remember going to Lassiter and they were talking some smack about how good their team was. I just kept my mouth shut. I was on top of the third base dugout with all the Lassiter fans. Well I finally had enough and started telling them about Francouer, Billy Howard, a good leftfielder named Green, a great shortstop named Tim Gustafson and Sammons. Then Francouer quietly smacked four home runs in the doubleheader. Those Lassiter fans were irate. It was actually kind of funny. I knew even when the bases were loaded and they brought in another pitcher Francoeur would deliver again. You could feel it in the air. I even made the comment they should walk him intentionally, even if it meant giving up a run. Well sure enough Superman came through.

And now when I watch the show on FSS about Francouer, you can see a part of me on top of that dugout while Francoeur rounds third base. Boy those were the days. Of course even after Francoeur and Sammons left, the Panthers continued the streak and made it 45 games in football and actually 46 with one the following year. The baseball team wasn't quite the same but it still is nice remembering the early part of this decade.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for popping in. Your comment is very true. I must say I'm not a "sporty" one, but you write so well, I couldn't stop reading lol.

    ReplyDelete