Thursday, March 26, 2009

Here we go again

I am still trying to find some old friends and of course i went to a great source....Facebook. I was able to find some of these people but for the most part still can't locate them. I remember playing little league ball with guys like Derk Lutcher and Keith Hagins and Keith Price. We were in Martinez, Georgia which was a suburb of Augusta. I remember Collin Cassedy. He was our quarterback on the Lions. Man we had a blast. We went undefeated until we played this team from Hiram. They had a girl on the team and guess what? We lost.

I will never forget that team. We had a great little runningback named Mark Thigpen. Man he was the fastest kid I have ever seen. I did manage to friend him on Facebook. I remember Collin as being a real quiet guy. He had red hair and freckles and wasn't really interested in the girls. But wow he had some that liked him. I moved away in 1981 the summer between my freshman and sophomore year. In 1986 I heard his younger brother was the quarterback at Evans and got in trouble for having a headphone on and talking to his dad, who was the coach at Evans. They had to forfeit the game.

Some of the other guys that I played ball with her Roger Shead and Randy Reese. They were pretty good as well.

Then after I graduated and went to college I met some other really good athletes. I still wonder what happened to them. I moved to Perry, Georgia and covered guys like Toriano Gilbert, Keith Newberry, Tazari Green, Jake Smith, Jimmy Dunlap, Ken Sikes, Sy Jones and Setarvin Jackson.

Perry was loaded with great athletes. I wonder if they ever made it big. I worked for a local paper and got to cover other athletes as well. Bobby Ellison from Manchester aka Blue Boy was awesome. Robert Shannon from Jackson played college ball and Lakista McCullers from Americus was called Baby Jordan. There was a guy named Rod Ladd that was from Macon County. He was a great shooter who went to VCU.

I really want to know whateverhappened to all these people. If anyone knows, please get in touch with me. I'm curious.

1 comment:

  1. Lakista McCullers signed and played at NC State and now owns a car dealership in Albany, Ga. McCullers Motors and he is on facebook

    ReplyDelete