Friday, July 3, 2009

Summer seems slow

Well for a person in my field the summer seems to be a slow time of year. Maybe after covering all the sports for 10 months out of the year I was ready to be lazy. But it seems I am missing some things. I missed GGBL like I have done in the past. I missed 7 on 7 and AAU basketball. There really is plenty to do in the summer. I found out they had summer baseball for a lot of the high school teams. One in particular is Mountain View. The new school will be opening this year and my best friend Frank Fore has a rising 9th grader Peyton who will be going there. He has played travel ball for years and i have been covering him for the last 4 years in the GGBL on the Collins Hill travel team. He would always bat aroud .400 and hit a few homeruns, steal some bases and play steller defense. Well this year he played for the summer team at Mountain View. Well all he did against much better competition was bat .450, play shortstop (he was a second baseman for most of travel ball) and bat first, second or third in the lineup.
I keep joking that I am going to be his agent when he is a senior. Now I don't know if it's a joke. I compare Peyton to a rising senior at Mill Creek, Greg Brody. Brody started as a freshman and was a short kid around 5'6 or 5'7. Peyton was always small but seems to hit a growth spurt. Greg Brody is about 5"11 or so now and put on a few pounds and actually has some power. He was the leadoff man for most of this year after batting last his first few years.
I can't wait to see Peyton and how he develops. They may struggle being a new school but I will say with a coach like Jason Johnson, who is a former Florida Marlin major league pitcher, the Bears will be fine. So if you think Summer is slow just get out and look. there is plenty to keep a journalist or photographer or videographer busy with high school kids. Just think though only 4 weeks or so before it all starts back for real.

No comments:

Post a Comment